Sunday, November 29, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree

We're back! Here we are yesterday in sunny 80 degree Arizona, soaking up the sun and enjoying some turkey...

...and here we are today. Home and scouting out our Christmas tree.



Trying to save a bit of money (and create a fun family memory) we decided to cut down our own Christmas tree this year. First stop: the Enumclaw Rangers Station, not too far from home-about 15-20minutes.

Once we got there-45 minutes later, we realized we were in for a little more than we planned for. We didn't know we would be facing snowy conditions. We were not really prepared to say the least. Note Kyla's bare exposed legs above and Casey's shoe choice below aka NOT boots.

Here is what Kyla looked like MOST of the time. She did have a little fun and the day started out with much excitement about picking out our very own Christmas tree from the forest. But as our car drove up the mountain side and as we trampled through two feet of snow, these were the words out of her mouth.... "Guys, I don't think this is a very good idea." "I think we might be lost." "It is really spooky out here!" Oh, and did I mention the fact that we didn't get home last night until 11:30pm? That can make any girl on edge.

She actually said, "Mom, let's just get this one."

Finally, we found one!


Here we are waiting in the car while dad tries to find another one for Uncle Tyler and Aunt Chelsea.

The evidence of our journey.


...and this is it.

It's Christmas time!

8 comments:

The Davis Family said...

Oh my gosh Andrea....this is the BEST post ever! :) I love it!!!! Glad you guys enjoyed the sun and snow...we are heading off to Hawaii for some sun tomorrow! :)))

Heather said...

We haven't braved that yet...maybe next year. :-) Though I have to say it is one of my favorite childhood memories going up in the woods to get a tree. BTW, I have the same title post by total coincidence!

Chelsea Bell said...

BEST memory ever and we LOVE our little Christmas tree...it was cut with love.

Coleson & Tate said...

I am laughing, out loud, right now!We always cut down our tree but go to a tree farm. Well, same as you, Terry was like "how about instead of at least $70 for a tree we just go to the woods and cut our own. Cheap permit and we're good." This adventure of yours is exactly what I invision! Except Kyla would be me! ha! He hasnt convinced me yet. I said maybe when the boys are a couple years older. I know Coleson would love it but Tate and I...not so much. anyway. Thanks for the laugh! :)

Bart and Krista said...

I love how authentic you guys when with getting your Christmas tree this year! We just pulled ours out of storage (it's plastic-FAKE!).
Casey looks SO proud of himself!

Amy said...

Totally hilarious! Glad you are back:)

Lisa said...

Sounds like a fun adventure that you will be talking about for many years!!

daphne said...

such a cute post. love the look on kyla's face. i wish we had some more "real" christmas tree farms down here...ours are all in grocery store parking lots :(