Friday, September 28, 2012

sewing costumes and reminiscing

 

Well I'm in the middle of sewing five Halloween costumes. Yea, you heard me....sewing. Totally winging it. No patterns. Just ideas in my head. It seems that it was more work that I anticipated- especially since I technically don't know how to sew.  But when you've created the tradition of themed Halloween costumes, have grown to five children (Bell girl cousins) to try to incorporate into the theme, and are on a budget (it is just Halloween after all)- you have to get creative. So that is what we are doing. This might just be the last year of themes. Kyla is already not thrilled with the costume choice, claiming its "baby." 

Let's take a trip down memory lane. Halloween pasts... 

2011: The year of the pirates. Actually, one Pirate Princess, two Izzys from Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and one lobster and one shark (you will see the last two are repeats). My mom made these ones. She's a much better sewer.

2010: The year of the Chipettes. All the Singles Ladies must have been played one bazillion times this year. 
These ones were made entirely from the Goodwill and a strip of fuzz for the ears and tails. Alivin kills me. I love that Alvin.

2009: Santa and the Elves. This one is my all time favorite. Totally Kyla's idea. We got a lot of use out of these costumes! 

2008: Ariel, Sebastian, and Flounder. Adorable.

2007: Ladybugs...Ha ha!


 2006: Oh and here she is the loan shark...before themes.


Stay tuned to see this year's theme...I'm still working on it!
I love the progression of photography on this too. Haven't been to Picture People in a long time.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

The photos are so cute and fun. I am loving that we are still getting away with themed dress-up even when I insist they don't have too. This year may do me in though with Nora's request. Just stocked up on supplies yesterday, we will see how it goes.... Good luck on your sewing adventure.

barth said...

these are great. i am VERY impressed that you are sewing your costumes!!! amazing!! my favorite year was 2010 :)

barth said...

ooops...this is daph :)

Hannah, Here! said...

Love all the themes!!

trulymegs said...

The chipettes just kill me. So stinkin adorable!